They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder ~By Hannah Slingerland

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what a beautiful sight it is to see a center for children founded on love. Children who would work together to complete chores, assist each other with homework and love one another as a family. My experience at Sunrise this past summer was a lesson on love.



Every morning, following the cheerful address, “Shikamoo Anna”, one child would already gently remind me that he needed school today. As he had recently arrived at the Center, he was not yet set up with a school. These gentle reminders grew a little more urgent as the morning wore on, as he was clearly concerned that I would forget! When our morning’s work was finally completed we would sit down to do some school work, continuing where the last volunteer left off with the basics of math and writing.

I can still see these two joyful eyes looking up at me with wonder when he could complete all his subtraction questions without a number line! On my final day at the Center, this young boy grew quiet and distanced himself. I didn’t want to leave him this way, so I asked him several times what the ‘shida’ (problem) was. Finally, he looked at me with his big, sad eyes and voiced his concern that he would have no lessons to do after I was gone. I missed his beautiful smile. 

A few minutes before we left, he took my hand again. I bent down and told my young friend that yes, there was several days of homework written out in his notebook. The smile I received in thanks meant the world to me, there was gratitude, love and happiness written on my young friend’s face. What seemed in my eyes a trivial deed, was a great deal to this boy. It warmed my heart to know that such a small action could give so much joy.

Here at Sunrise, the happy atmosphere gave an indescribable joy. I think back to these weeks when I realized how much power there is in love and the gift of giving. This holiday season as you celebrate Christmas, treasure the blessings you have received. Make memories, have fun, and live a life of love!



We wish you all a blessed Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!

Comments