A trip to the drop in Center

My second day in Tanzania and I was eager to see one of the most important parts of the street children’s project, the drop-in centre. As with most adventures in Arusha, this one started at Maji ya Chai. Kristen, Godlisten and I took the dusty pickipiki ride down to the dalla dalla stand. I paid for all three pikipiki’s, a mere 3000 shillings ($2.00) for all three. I observed as a dalla dalla conductor pulled out change for the 5000 shillings I gave the pikipiki driver. While observing, I mused on the interesting exchange that was taking place in front of us. The dalla dalla conductor was giving us change as a favor for the pikipiki driver assuming that we would now happily ride along with him in his dalla dalla. I thought, well this might turn out nicely for him if by chance his dalla dalla is almost full which was highly unlikely… …The transaction for the pikipiki’s was completed and we turned to face the challenge of finding a “good” dalla dalla. I looked for the one with the red Addis symbols plastered all over it, as that one went fast (albeit a little to fast) on our last trip. But alas it wasn’t there. We followed the ‘kind’ conductor to his dalla dalla to find it completely empty and driverless. Considering the benefits of driving all the way to the city on a considerably comfortable front seat, I attempted to politely decline the offer of the dalla dalla conductor, despite his kindness in giving all his change to the pickipiki driver. I received a surprised humf, and a speal of Swahili that I could not understand, how dare I refuse the dalla dalla after he gave change for my pikipiki ride. I tried to explain in my broken Swahili that his dalla dalla was empty, and that we had places to go, and and…. …by this time several other conductors appeared… and several other dalla dallas. I decided we would be better off to let them argue this one out as I peeled my arm away from the conductors grip and backed away. Finding a dalla dalla that suited our very specific requirement of apparent speed and efficiency we got on, standing room only. We held on to the back of the seats our elbows sticking in the other passengers faces, hunched backs hoping that soon someone would get off, and we could sit comfortably. Dalla Dallas are vans suited for approximately 18 people, but in Tanzania that can easily mean 30-35 people. I usually describe this ‘talent to fit’ as developing a unique ability to shrink at the hips, and assist the whole row of passengers of doing the same, by continually shuffling to one side and “if you fits you sits”. We did eventually get a seat and I splayed my arms in front of me to allow the shoulders of the passengers on either side of me rest in my arm pits silently apologizing (very Canadian right) for the sweat that was imminent to grow and transfer to the various shoulders. Personal space? Who needs that anyways, our grandiose 3 feet bubble of personal space that us westerners get is highly over rated anyways. As we are driving along, I found I was enjoying the ride with all its unique quirks. We soon came to some construction, but not regular Tanzanian construction, no something was different about this construction- it had a China feel to it. I asked the passenger beside me who was building the road bigger, and confirmed that it was China. I should mention that China is great at building roads, and thanks to China Arusha will soon have a 4 lane road leading into it, as opposed to the current congested 2 lane road. We bump along quite literally as the speed bumps are the speed limits… and when there are many speed bumps the speed limit is really nice and slow. There are all different kinds of speed bumps… there are the big ones- that the big busses have to go slow over but that the small dalla dallas can zoom over… then there are the 5 little ones in a row- these are hard on passengers, and dalla dallas must to slow over these or risk loosing a tire…. Bump bump bump bump bump each time the shocks of the dalla dalla bottoming out, I can feel the road through my hip bones- which are most surely two inches narrower at this point. But as we always do we all made it to Arusha, to the stand. We were spit out of this dalladalla and I happily walked the final couple of blocks to the drop in centre along with Godlisten and Kristin. 

We walked into the drop-in centre to the smiles of two boys who had come from the streets the day before. Jackson, the social worker explained to us that there were actually three boys but that one had run off during the night back to the streets. This is a common occurrence at the drop-in centre, and we didn’t have to say anything to each other, as we were all thinking and hoping the same thing- maybe next time he comes he will stay, maybe next time, there is always a next time right? The boys ages likely ranging between 14-16 were playing a game with the social worker. The social worker had flash cards, with questions. The boys would roll a dice and depending on where their player landed on the board would determine what type of question was asked of him. I wondered at the ingenious game, and was informed that Ferdinand a volunteer from Germany had helped Jackson make it. Godlisten explained of the challenges of helping boys within this age range. Being to old to go back to school in the Tanzanian system and to young without any skill sets to make it on their own they remain street youth with a bleak future. Sunrise of Life is always determined to help those who can’t be helped and Godlisten was already busy in making this happen. The plan for these boys is to find a vocational school that will accept them (With little Primary education many vocational schools will simply refuse) and then they can be taught a life skill for which they can start a business of their own, such as mechanics welding or woodworking. Godlisten had several schools in mind and he is determined to find something that will be suitable for the youth. At this point there was only 2 boys at the drop-in centre. Typically when counts are high at the drop-in centre street outreach is scaled back, and when the counts are low street outreach is intensified. As such Godlisten explained to me that street outreach was being done at minimum 3 times per week, and this includes one night street outreach. In addition a new program is starting where every Saturday the drop-in centre is opened to all street youth and children to come stop by for lunch and a opportunity to wash their clothes, tend to medical needs, and learn of the benefits of staying at the drop-in centre. Ultimately it is the choice of the children to stay, and we at Sol show the children what they could have if they did stay at the drop-in centre.  


~Tom

Comments