A Reflection- By Aletta

A Reflection of my Time Spent at Sunrise of Life in Tanzania
One day I was on a plane to Nairobi, Kenya. I had never planned on ever going anywhere else than North America or Europe, to tell you the truth. However, with encouragement from a friend to come to Tanzania and volunteer with her, my mind and soul was soon headed in another direction; one that would take me on an experience of a lifetime. It all started with the decision to “Just Go!”
After a full day of travel and arriving in a completely new continent and zone in the world, I was heartily welcomed at Sunrise of Life. I really had no idea what to expect since I had never been to anywhere in Africa before, or any country even remotely similar.  I felt like all my senses were awakened with new life, new culture, and the buzz of a new adventure.
Upon arrival, I was welcomed into a little house where so much love, happiness, and laughter is shared. I was quite shy at the time, absorbing it all in, not really knowing what to think. Soon, it caught up to me. I was reluctant to try the foods, to talk to the children, to really get into the beautiful atmosphere at Sunrise of Life. However, being in this environment, my reluctance could only last for so long. The children loved volunteers. They loved to speak the words of English they knew and teach me their words in Swahili. It wasn't long before Sunrise of Life had found a place in my heart. It became home for a few short weeks. All it took was a little bit of adaptation and an open mind and heart.
Life at the centre was fun. Routine was present but we still had a lot of fun times!  Every morning the garden had to be watered and I would help the children. I really didn't stand a chance against them. They were super gardeners! My little darling friend, Zuwena, would pull pails of water out of the well faster than I could even think about doing it. The kids were hard working, but also enjoyed time sitting in the sun chatting with me and the other volunteers. The conversations we had while talking, and trying to play football with them helped me to get to know each child a little better. I tried to remember the children by their names and they were ever so kind when I did forget. Each face, each voice, became part of “my family.” The best part about it was that we all cared for each other. You could just tell. There was genuine interest about how each other’s days went and what we were up to. We could laugh together, sing together, play hide and seek together, work together, and be great together. I had never volunteered with an organization before, but my experience at Sunrise of Life brought sunshine to my life.
Goodbyes did eventually come. There are not enough words or pages to ever describe it all. I wrote a journal entry every day so I would never forget, and my heart has written a book of its own. Tears well up in my eyes when I think about how much I came to love those children in such a short time. When they asked as I left: “When will you return?” I didn't want to make a rash promise. I really do hope someday I will return to Sunrise of Life. However, in the meantime, I try to do my part and help with the financial needs and pray for all the beautiful souls that created memories of a lifetime with me.   

Comments