First couple of days,

Hey Everyone,

I have arrived safely in Tanzania. It is very nice here. I arrived in Narobi and took the bus to Arusha.

The road was very rough. Just to give you a idea of the driving here, If there is a big bump on the road the bus driver would swerve to the ditch and at the same speed take the ditch instead of the bump. At first I was a little bit worried about the whole situation but then I looked at the bus in front of me and saw that it was doing the same thing. There was not much I could do if we did crash, so I decided to try and relax.

Kenya is a pretty beat up country. More so than Tanzania. I assume the major reason for this is because Tanzania has not had tribal wars in the past, therefore most of the buildings are in tact. This being said Tanzania is still a very poor country. there is a large gap between the rich and the poor therefore there will be very fancy vehicles on the road but the streets is also home to many children and disabled people. Tanzania is a very beautiful country. It is very lush here and it usually rains in the morning (so far).

A little about my placement.

Today I went to see my placement (I have to wait for my work permit before I can start) and realized how far away it really was. I was not going to do that placement anymore. But after talking to the Manger of the orphanage he offered me a room in the staff house. This means that I will be living in the compound. The orphanage is in the middle of nowhere it seems. We had to take the dalla dalla (cheap public transport... more on this later). Very far out of the town where I am staying. Then we rented a motor bike and went into the woods for 4 km. It is in a very nice area.

After considering living at the orphanage i decided I would do it. I decided to switch the order in which I will do my placements though. I will first work at the school for three weeks and then I will move to the orphanage for the rest of time.

The Dalla Dalla

The public transport in Tanzania is very interesting. The 'bus' consists of a van that would hold approximately 12 people (legally) in Canada. Apparently in Tanzania there is no limit to how many people are allowed in a van. The most I counted so far was 29 people. I was surprised how much we can squeeze into a confined area. It costs 200 shilling (approx 20 cents) per ride. If I go really far I have to pay a little more.

Well I have to go for now, hope all is well!!

Tom

Comments

  1. Hey! Glad to hear it's going good...sounds like you're having fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment